Front End Creative Developer Apprentice | San Diego
Sosolimited is looking for a front end creative developer apprentice to join our San Diego innovation studio. The ideal candidate is someone with a web or graphics programming background who is also interested in visual arts and design.
As an apprentice, you’ll gain experience working on digital installations and interactive experiences. You’ll be working with a team of designers, coders, and project managers to create projects for a range of clients across industries. Your role in the studio is expected to evolve and grow as you gain experience with our tools, process and methods.
Driven by curiosity, problem solving, and a desire to create original, inventive works, our firm blurs the boundaries between disciplines to create real engagement with audiences and inspire them to see the world anew.
This position is a six month, full-time position, beginning September 1, 2018. Compensation is based on experience. If you’re interested in working on a variety of projects at the intersection of art and technology please send cover letter, resume, and link to your portfolio/github to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Roles and Responsibilities
Front End and Graphics Programming
- Build production level graphics and related software with a team of developers, designers and project managers
- Write, test, and document code in a variety of languages and formats
- HTML / CSS / JS Front end development
- API integrations
- D3, WebGL, Vue and other JS libraries
- Node.js, MongoDB backend applications
- C++ / openFrameworks / Cinder standalone graphics applications
- GLSL and other shader languages
- Command Line Interface scripting
- Prototype graphical sketches and experiments
- Create system diagrams and hardware schematics for interactive installations
- Prototype, setup, configure and test hardware
- Travel and onsite installation of hardware
- Maintain existing software applications and installations
- Provide input on technology choices such as language, libraries, code paradigms, and system architecture
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with a development team on Github using an agile project management process
- Passion for getting the details right, but also an ability to see how those details fit into the big picture.
- Organized, detail-oriented approach to solving problems. You’re systematic and know how to retrace your steps.
- Willingness to experiment and prototype. Some creative problems require exploration before you can find a direction or solution. You’re comfortable with uncertainty.
- Clear, respectful communication skills. You let your team know your progress and needs.
- Self-directed contributor. You look for ways to help out and have strong time-management skills.
- You favor the simple, elegant, reliable solution. Our work has to exist in the real world.
Working at Sosolimited
We are a collaborative team of experts working on a wide range of highly-visible, original projects. Everyone has a voice and the skills to contribute to our work, and when we win awards we share the credit. We partner with clients we believe in on installations and experiences that inspire curiosity and leave lasting impressions.
Our studios are optimistic, positive workplaces. We eat lunch together and have regular happy hours. We’re focused on the well-being, professional development, and personal growth of the entire team. Past events have included week-long code camps, mini-conferences with area studios, group creative sessions, and even bi-coastal summits.
Sosolimited creates sensory spaces driven by design and technology. We believe that an organization’s ability to differentiate itself and create lasting engagement requires new, strategic approaches to the many roles space can play: physical, digital, shared, personal, and competitive.
Founded by three MIT graduates who blend their backgrounds in architecture, computer science, and physics, we have been exploring the changing shape of space since 2003. Our multidisciplinary team of experts creates memorable works, from concept to installation to evolution.
With locations in Boston and San Diego, we imagine and build sensory spaces for forward-thinking organizations across industries. Our award-winning work has been exhibited internationally and has made millions of impressions.