Graduate Student Researcher – Skylight Project
UCSD Handshake Number: 4700045
Apply on Handshake
Appointment Duration: May, 2021 – October, 2021
Salary: GSR Step 7 Rate (go to https://grad.ucsd.edu/financial/employment/student-pay-rates.html for more details)
About the Project
Together with our partners at Skylight, a digital consultancy using design and technology to help governmental agencies deliver better public services, the Design Lab’s Community Team will be working to support the creation of a Service Design Accelerator (SDA). The SDA will provide a practical set of tools, best practices, training and coaching to help the Skylight customer’s teams better engage in and leverage service design as part of their increased emphasis on product design capabilities. As a part of this project we will advise on a real world design challenge to help inform the processes and practices that will ultimately be encoded into the protocols and practices of the design accelerator.
- Experience in the management and training of undergraduate researchers
- Exposure to, or curiosity to learn about, Service Design from a theoretical as well as practitioner perspective
- Experience conducting people-centered research (IRL as well as online), gathering resources, observation/ethnography, interviewing stakeholders, analysis and abstraction of insights from qualitative & quantitative data and creation of problem briefs
- Knowledge of basic design/user-centered design principles, specifically those of our lab (Design First, Systems Thinking, Root Causes, Test-Fail-Refine)
- Familiarity with UI/UX industry standards for interface design and user testing methodologies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as organizational prowess managing multiple communications channels
- Ability to collaborate and work as a team
- Comfort with discomfort as it relates to ambiguous processes and workflows
Expectations / Requirements:
- Currently studying in Cognitive Science, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Data Science, Business, Speculative Design and / or degrees related to Human-Computer Interaction, Product Design, and / or interaction design
- Must pay UCSD Student Services fees each quarter working.
- Research Abilities: Accesses and evaluates multiple sources of information, including text and images, and synthesizes information to solve problems and create new insights.
- Professionalism & Integrity: Demonstrates integrity, honesty, dependability and ethical responsibility, and accepts direction and personal accountability.
- For equity reasons, the Design Lab is unable to respond to email queries from individual applicants.