AI Now Institute
Learn more and apply here
As a core member of our research team, you will participate in a broad range of research projects on the social implications of AI and related technologies. This work will lead to peer-reviewed publications, in addition to other outputs and activities designed to engage diverse stakeholders and broaden public understanding of these topics. You will:
- Contribute to interdisciplinary research across AI Now’s four core domains.
- Help coordinate key research projects that cut across academic disciplines, from design to implementation to publication.
- Monitor technologies and technological developments in AI and related fields that have potential consequences for AI Now’s current research portfolio (by, for example, reading technical papers and documentation and providing briefs and recommendations to the team).
- Serve as a resource and thought partner to AI Now staff and partners.
- Communicate about your work with a wider public audience.
- Help develop and maintain meaningful research- and community-based partnerships that lead to collaborative opportunities, shared research projects and agendas, and ongoing knowledge exchange.
- Lead and participate in working groups, workshops, and other convenings on the core topics in our research agenda.
RESOURCES AND BENEFITS
As a Technology Fellow, you will receive all benefits provided to Professional Research Staff, including:
- A competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
- A generous and comprehensive benefits package (including medical, dental, and vision) through New York University.
- Annual professional development funds for conferences, skill development, etc.
- Relocation assistance, as needed.
Candidates should be driven to understand the social implications of AI and related systems and be interested in working in an interdisciplinary environment. All disciplines are encouraged to apply, though candidates must have solid technical literacy and an up-to-date understanding of the AI field. Additional qualifications are as follows:
- Research experience examining AI and related technologies, and familiarity with the latest research relevant to AI Now’s four core research domains.
- Ability to read and interpret technical AI/ML research and draw connections between AI systems’ technical design and their social implications.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly translate complex technical issues to different audiences across different contexts.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required; advanced degrees in a relevant field will be taken into consideration.
- Able to work on-site at our offices in New York City; while there may be opportunities to work remotely on occasion, this job will necessitate you being on-site.
This is a full-time position for a one year period, with the possibility to extend to a second year.
NYU is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity; women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.