Digital, Mobile, UX Designer/Developer and Educator
Innovation Lab at La Jolla Country Day School
Learn more and apply
Are you a great mobile, web and digital designer that can not only make things work but make things work beautifully? Are you ready to work on projects that you want to work on? Do you love to mentor people and think that you are a great teacher? If so, working with the Innovation Lab at La Jolla Country Day School might be for you.
The Innovation Lab at La Jolla Country Day School, having just completed its third year in existence, values its “startup atmosphere” where the entire blended team of experienced educators and industry professionals is key in redesigning the K-12 education experience. Our goal is to teach our students professional level research skills and development processes that are critical to adoptable innovation. Students are expected to work for industry and develop IP, products, solutions and technology.
As the Innovation Lab’s Digital, Mobile, UX Designer/Developer and Educator, you will be a member of a mixed team of professionals from industry and education playing an integral role in educating our students to become true innovators. We believe that true innovators can identify the right problems to solve and be able to deliver solutions that meet user needs, are technically feasible and are business viable. Over the last three years since the founding of the Innovation Lab, our students have worked for industry corporations such as CamelBak, Ottobock and others, filed for patents, started businesses and won national design competitions.
Working with the rest of the team and reporting to the assistant head of school for design & innovation you will have the freedom to choose the projects that you think will enable our students to make a name for themselves and the Innovation Lab.
The expertise that you will need to bring to the Innovation Lab at La Jolla Country Day School will be in web, app and mobile design & development. You will need to have a portfolio of solutions that you have developed that are not only technically impressive but also represent your expertise in UX and graphic design theory and application.
This is a full time position teaching and mentoring students, faculty and staff as well as working on or project managing and mentoring students on a variety of department and organizational projects.
- Acting as a leader and resource for UX, digital, mobile and web development
- Recommend and manage tools for digital design work.
- Lead the development of the Digital Design curriculum of the Innovation Lab
- Help continue to connect our students and the Innovation Lab to the outside world
2018-2019 Specific Responsibilities
- Teach two Middle School (7th/8th grade) elective blocks
- Act as a mentor for various upper school courses
- Work on various department projects such as maintaining and adding capability to the Innovation Lab website – www.innovation-education.com
- Work on various projects that add capabilities to the organization
2019-2020 Specific Responsibilities
- Teach two MS (7th/8th grade) elective blocks
- Teach one to two US elective courses
- Acting as a mentor for students working on independent projects
- Work on or mentor students working on various projects that add capabilities to the organization
- Have a positive attitude and a sense of humor
- Be a role model to both our female and male students
- Able to work collaboratively within a team while still being a self-starter and able to work effectively in an independent manner
- Able to constructively give and receive feedback
- Be a lifelong learner
- Strong graphic design skills, with a good understanding of typography, intuitive layouts and palate development
- A bachelor’s or higher degree in interaction design, graphic design, industrial design, human-computer interaction, cognitive science or related field. A master’s degree is preferred
- Excellent understanding of user-experience design for mobile and the web, technology trends, demonstrable design skills, and ability to show relevant work
- Proven ability to deliver high quality designs to customers
- A team player who can easily adapt in a rapidly changing environment
“Nice to Have” Requirements
- Expert level skills in a wide variety of design software
- Experience teaching at middle school, high school or undergraduate level
- Willingness to learn other design or engineering skills outside of the digital realm
The ideal candidate will possess or demonstrate the following: a growth mindset, self-motivation, positive energy, strong interpersonal skills, a service-oriented and team approach to work, approachability, openness to new and divergent ideas, excellent oral and written communication skills, and comfort in an educational setting where children and adults are present.
All school personnel must successfully complete a fingerprint background check through Live Scan and provide current tuberculosis clearance.
Please submit a current resume/CV and cover letter detailing your interest in and experience for this position.